New York City, NY, United States
Internship, Engineering, Sciences
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Intern of Safety Engineering will:
* Perform data collection and analysis, in both field and office settings, to assist in the execution of safety improvement initiatives by the System Safety team.
* Identify opportunities to implement safety enhancements in both large and small scale projects.
* Develop new or enhance existing processes that allow data driven actions and decision making with respect to safety.
* Assist other members of the System Safety team in field work.
* Perform other duties, either in a team or working independently, in support of safety initiatives as assigned.
* Perform/support analysis of infrastructure or data sets in support of safety risk assessments and prepare presentations of results.
* Perform field observations and data collection to assist System Safety, Engineering, Mechanical, and Transportation leadership in the preparation of Risk Assessments, Job Safety Analyses, and other safety-related documents.
* Analyze existing data to provide input to the design of or otherwise support cases for safety mitigations implemented through operational changes or capital projects.
* Review project schematics and specifications during the acquisition or design phases or perform field walk-downs in the construction phase for compliance with applicable FRA/OSHA regulations and make recommendations for additional safety enhancements.
* Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate degree in Engineering or Physical Science.
* Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution in Engineering or Physical Science.
* Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
* Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
* Available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week between the days/hours: Monday-Friday, 8a-5p.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel).
* Prior experience with MatLab or other programming languages (e.g. Python, C++).
* Specific interest or desire to work in the railroad industry.
* Prior internship or work experience in a rail transportation environment.
* Familiarity with Microsoft Sharepoint.
* Available to work at least one full 8-hour day per week.
* Actively pursuing a graduate degree in Engineering or Physical Science
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Must be able to work cooperatively as a member of a team as well as work/research independently.
Posting Location(s):New York
Job Family/Function:Safety & Security
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Safety & Security || No Additional
Website : https://www.amtrak.com